Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a virus called coronavirus.

Residents should ensure they are following current advice provided by the Government, Public Health England and the NHS using the links below:

UK government response – NHS guidance –

The advice is being updated as the situation develops so residents are encouraged to check the sites regularly.

Facebook @eastridingcouncil Twitter @East_Riding

Latest updates

A feed of the updates and changes to council services, as we announce them. View the Service updates section for a full Coronvirus (COVID-19) update for each service.

The council is doing all it can to maintain the most essential and high-priority services as it deals with the impacts of COVID-19 and is prioritising resources on where they are needed most.

  • Private Sector Housing
  • blue badges
  • Animal Health and Welfare
  • Caddy Bags

Service updates

Below is a list of service changes due to the impact of coronavirus. This page is being constantly updated.

Service not listed?
All known service changes are published on this page. As the situation is evolving quickly some changes may not be listed. If accessing a service requires travel or may cause inconvenience we advise you to check beforehand.

Business, finance and guidance

Animal health and welfare (attending to animals: non-commercial and livestock)

Advice for People with Animals

The UK government has provided advice for pet owners and livestock keepers on maintaining the welfare of their animals during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic:

GOV.UK - Advice for people with animals (external website)

Business support - Humber Business Growth Hub

East Riding of Yorkshire Council's business support team is working alongside the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership and other partners to pool information on the issues affecting businesses, share resources and ensure businesses can access support.

The central point of access for business support in the Humber region is the Humber Business Growth Hub.

The Growth Hub brings together information on all support initiatives and can answer any questions and signpost businesses to the most appropriate help.

To access support, email the Growth Hub at

To keep up-to-date with the latest developments, visit the following websites:

Humber Growth Hub - COVID-19 (external website)

Humber LEP - COVID-19 Support for Businesses (external website)

Council Business Rates Information (external council website)

GOV.UK - Guidance to Employers and Businesses about COVID-19 (external website)

HM Government Business Support (external website)

East Riding Pension Fund (ERPF)

Coronavirus Update

East Riding Pension Fund (ERPF) services are currently operating as normal. Payment of pensions and benefits will not be affected.

The situation surrounding coronavirus is fast-moving, but ERPF would like to reassure our scheme members that we are doing everything we can to ensure our service is not disrupted during this time. ERPF is monitoring the latest advice from the UK Government to manage any consequences for scheme employers, scheme members and our own staff.

ERPF’s priority will be to protect the Fund against the impact of interruptions and we have already put robust measures in place to ensure that we can continue to pay pensions and administer the scheme whilst dealing with any significant event (such as the possible impacts of coronavirus). These measures are tested regularly as part of our Business Continuity Plan and will continue to be reviewed over the coming days and weeks. As the situation develops ERPF may need to limit non-essential services and we will continue to keep scheme members updated of any decisions or actions taken. At present, ERPF services are operating as normal.

As a result of coronavirus and the recent global downturn in the economy, the Scheme Advisory Board (SAB) have issued a statement and have asked ERPF to reassure scheme members that their pension benefits will not be affected. The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is a defined benefit scheme set out in law and therefore benefits payable will not be directly affected by stock market changes or performance of investments. Members' pension accounts are revalued each year to allow for inflation and to keep up with the cost of living which are shown yearly on the annual benefits statement or payslip.

The SAB statement can be accessed here:

Scheme Advisory Board statement (external website)

Extremely vulnerable people

The government have now set up a web page for people to register if they or their family members are elderly/vulnerable and struggling with food supplies, daily essentials etc.

Please see link:

GOV.UK - Extremely vulnerable (external website)

Financial support for households and businesses

Financial Support for Businesses

We are in the process of contacting all businesses who are eligible for the small business rates relief grant, to gather details in order to make payments. Find out more from the Business Rates page.

Find out what support is available for businesses

Financial Support for Households

If you have been financially affected by coronavirus, you may also be entitled to council tax support or other financial assistance.

Financial Support for Households

Food businesses, pubs, cafés and restaurants

Pubs, cafes and restaurants have been told to close their premises due to recent Government guidance, however, some are allowed to sell takeaway food and drink if they have the correct licence, for the time being.

If anyone has information about a pub, café or restaurant that is opening to allow food and drink to be consumed within the premises, then please report these to the council using this email address:

When ordering takeaway food, we would advise residents to order food by telephone or online for delivery or collection at a specific time, and not to congregate at the premises.

Changing food businesses to offer takeaway and deliveries

East Riding of Yorkshire Council understand that as a result of COVID-19 businesses may look to change their model and diversify in order to maintain custom and help the community during this time.

The following advice is for those businesses that are looking to make provision for takeaways and deliveries where they have not done so before. A business will only be in a position do this if they are already registered as a food business with a Local Authority.

Advice for changing food business to offer takeaway and deliveries (pdf)

Guidance for food businesses on coronavirus (COVID-19)

The UK government has provided further guidance for food businesses on good hygiene practices specifically in response to coronavirus:

GOV.UK - COVID-19 guidance for food businesses (external website)

The guidance covers food hygiene, handling food packaging, cleaning and waste disposal, managing employee sickness and social distancing.

The guidance provides specific advice for social distancing in:

food processing plants supermarkets staff canteens and rest areas takeaways and restaurants/offering pick-up services outdoor food markets/farmers markets.

Key workers involved in construction work

In recent days there has been a lot of focus on the construction sector, with respect to their operations, and whether or not the projects they are working on are essential and need to continue during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The council is keeping the matter under review and will continue to follow the Government’s advice. At this time, the Government has advised that construction projects should continue, provided staff are working in line with public health guidance.

Additional safe systems of work guidance has been released from the Construction Leadership Council and contractors are adopting this advice on-site and with their supply chain.

It is vitally important to the council and its contractors that appropriate measures are taken to minimise the spread of coronavirus.

Councillor Chris Matthews, cabinet portfolio holder for asset management, said: “We are all living in unprecedented times but, despite this, our key workers are building much-needed infrastructure to protect our communities from flooding or to maintain safe use of our highways and there are many other examples of work in your community, which the council is carrying out, to keep the places we all enjoy in the best condition.

“We are acutely aware that the construction sector operates on small margins. So, by taking a pragmatic approach to keeping sites operational in line with sound Government direction, we are helping to sustain local employment where it is practical to do so and minimise the risk of infection.

“The council is insisting on social distancing and other safety measures at all of its construction sites are applied, in line with accepted safe systems of work. If there are any breaches, we will raise these with the contractor.”

All council staff and contractors involved in operational work to improve the state of local communities are categorised as key workers and the work they are undertaking is essential.

Please respect staff as they carry out their duties during this difficult time and please keep the recommended two metres distance away.

North Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (NEIFCA)

North Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (NEIFCA) COVID-19 update for the Inshore Fishing Community

The COVID-19 situation is ever-changing here in the UK and it is very important that everyone is aware of the latest advice from the UK Government and the health information from the NHS.

We recognise the unprecedented impact that the pandemic is having on fishing business and coastal communities. NEIFCA is working hard to maintain essential services and support local fishing communities whilst protecting our own workforce during this very difficult and uncertain time.

IFCOs, where it is safe and appropriate to do so, will continue to patrol the coast and engage with fishermen and stakeholders. Officers will be following the latest government advice in relation to minimising the spread of the Coronavirus, which may mean officers need to carry out their work in alternative ways.

We are working, where it is safe to do so, to ensure that permits and sampling regimes are maintained as far as is practically possible. Our aim is to continue to support coastal communities and the industry and help to keep fishing and trading to be ready to recover when the time comes.

We are working very closely with Defra and our partner agencies including the Marine Management Organisation, Seafish and Cefas. Through this coordinated network we are liaising directly with industry, and their representatives and our Local Authorities, to support their essential services.

Support and Advice for Businesses

The UK Government has published updated guidance for businesses, employers and employees. The Government also announced a package of measures to provide support for public services, individuals and businesses affected by Covid-19. The Marine Management Organisation has established a one stop shop which provides a helpful guide to the support which is available. It is available online here:

Support for Fishing Industry One-stop-shop (pdf)

Charities Supporting the Fishing Industry

In these uncertain times, there are organisations that can offer advice and practical or financial assistance to fishermen. Visit:

Seafish - Coronavirus updates for the seafood industry (external website)

to find out who to contact, and for other updates on COVID-19 for the seafood industry.

Seafish have listed several organisations who can offer support to fishermen, some of which we have listed below:

Fishermen’s Mission

The Fishermen’s Mission provides financial, practical and pastoral support to retired or active fishermen and their families. They assess support required and fill in a grant form which is sent to various charities for funding. Support can be requested for a variety of factors such as hospital transport costs or a new cooker or emotional support.

Financial support is provided when payments can no longer be made and they are in arrears – proof and documentation are required. To find out more visit their website:

Fishermens Mission (external website)

call (01489) 566 910 or


Seafarer’s Advice and Information Line (SAIL)

SAIL is part of Citizen Advice Bureau (CAB) but it offers specialised for seafarers. It provides independent financial advice on benefit entitlement, HMRC issues, bankruptcy, debt, charity grants, employment, housing and pensions, as well as advice on consumer issues and immigration. They also offer practical support to assist with filling in forms and negotiating with other agencies.

To find out more visit their website:

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) (external website)

call 0800 160 1842 (lines are open week days 10am-4pm) or:


Shipwrecked Mariners Society

Shipwrecked Mariners Society provides financial and practical assistance to merchant seafarers, fishermen and their dependents. They can support in instances that include debt, illness, disability, unemployment or retirement.

To find out more visit their website:

Shipwrecked Mariners Society (external website)

call (01243) 789 329 or


Seafarers Hospital Society

Seafarers Hospital Society offer health, welfare and advice to merchant seafarers and fishermen families.

To find out more visit their website:

Seafarers Hospital Society (external website)

call 0800 160 1842 or



This is a confidential 24/7 online mental health and wellbeing advice and support service provided by the Seafarers Hospital Society.

Visit their website:

THE BIG WHITE WALL (external website)



Seafarer Support

Seafarer Support guides serving and former UK seafarers and their families towards relevant help in times of need. Their online tool allows users to input basic details then searches their database of over 150 maritime charities to identify those which may be able to provide help.

To find out more visit their website:

Seafarer Support (external website)

or call the freephone helpline on 0800 121 4765.

Private sector housing

Unsafe Housing Conditions

The Private Sector Housing team remain open to respond to complaints from tenants of serious hazards such as dangerous electrics, defective fire doors and alarms, broken down heating within rental properties. Please ensure you have made every effort to contact your landlord or managing agent to resolve issues and be able to demonstrate their refusal to rectify matters prior to contacting this department.

Illegal Evictions

Further to the government's announcement that evictions are temporarily banned due to COVID-19 please see the link below; Protection for renters

If having informed your landlord about this, you have further concerns about an eviction being carried out at this time please contact this department.

Private sector landlords

Advice on the enforcement of housing standards in rental properties and licensing of house in multiple occupation for residential landlords

The government's response to the Coronavirus pandemic has imposed restrictions which are relevant for landlords in the private rented sector. Landlords, managing agents and contractors should minimise access to their properties. If access is permitted this should be only to meet legal standards to ensure tenant safety and welfare whilst observing social distancing measures.

Find out more on GOV.UK (external website)

Council officers will still be responding to complaints concerning disrepair and poor management and licensing standards in the private rented sector. However officers will adapt working practices to minimise visits and contact and may rely on photographs from example tenants in cases. Landlords will be contacted on the basis of these reports and officers will be understanding in terms of the timescales allowing for resolution. It is hoped that by far the majority of cases can be dealt with informally based on common sense agreements.

Consideration of suspension or variation of any Improvement Notices currently served will be given to allow additional time for landlords to comply but this may not be appropriate in all cases. Officers will consider the seriousness of the hazard, the vulnerability of the occupier and confidence that the landlord can demonstrate that appropriate attempts to remedy any hazards being undertaken within an agreed or confirmed additional time frame.

If you are aware of a repair which needs doing but the tenant is unable to permit access due to self isolation, ask them to document this in a text or an email. Work should not be carried out in properties where the tenant is self isolating or shielding (tenants who are more vulnerable to the infection due to their medical condition) unless there is a serious and direct threat to tenant safety. Urgent matters which we would not consider appropriate to delay would include, water supply problems, sanitation, security, fire safety, electrical safety, gas safety, heating and hot water faults.

In terms of licensing of Housing in Multiple Occupation - new and renewal applications will be considered on a case by case basis with time extensions granted as necessary to take account of difficulties in providing relevant documentation. Further guidance for landlords and tenants is available below.

GOV.UK - Coronavirus renting guidance (external website)

The Health and Safety Executives approach to Landlord’s Gas safety checks can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website but please find a summary below.

We appreciate that social housing landlords may be experiencing challenges in getting gas safety checks completed at this time, for example due to tenants isolating or a shortage of available engineers. However, landlords are still required to take reasonable steps to carry out annual gas safety checks etc. Suspension of all gas safety checks is not permissible as it will unnecessarily put tenants at increased risk, particularly as people are spending all/most of their time at home.

Each property should be considered on a case by case basis, completing safety checks where tenants permit access and gas engineers are available. If you are unable to secure the services of your usual engineers, you must make reasonable attempts to obtain alternative services.

Where you cannot and resource has to be prioritised you can do so, taking into account factors such as (this list is not exhaustive):

the age and type of appliances

previous maintenance/work carried out

breakdown history

the presence of CO alarms

whether the tenant is considered vulnerable for reasons other than risk from coronavirus (COVID-19).

Reporting a crime

Information on ways of reporting crimes, what to do if you are suffering from harassment, what hate crime is, ideas for community payback, problems with a ten-foot or alley, and how your area is policed from our Reporting a crime page.

Contacts for disease outbreak or infection control issue?

Concerns about disease outbreaks or infection control issues should be directed to Public Health England (PHE).

The contact details are below:

Public Health England
North Yorkshire and Humber Team
Sand Hutton
YO41 1LZ.

Tel: (01904) 687100

Residents should ensure they are following current advice provided by the Government, Public Health England and the NHS using the links below:

UK Government Response (external website)

NHS guidance -

Education and council services

Adult learning

The council’s adult learning centres in Beverley, Bridlington, Cottingham and Goole are closed to learners and all classes and appointments have been postponed until at least Monday, 20 April. Please email us at or call (01482) 392844 if you need further guidance.

Bins, bin collections and tips
Bin Collections

Bin collections will continue as normal.

Caddy Bags

Brown Bin Food Waste

The council is unable to give out free kitchen caddy bags to residents at this present time as all the sites that stock them (customer service centres, libraries, recycling sites) are closed. Residents who run out of caddy liners are advised they can wrap food waste in single sheets of newspaper to place in their brown bin instead, or food can be placed in the brown bin on its own. Please do not use plastic bags or any other compostable bags for your food waste.

Commercial Waste

Commercial waste and recycling collections are continuing as normal.

However, if your business had closed due to the Government guidance, then please contact the Commercial Waste team and we can suspend your service.

East Riding Business (Commercial) Waste - Contact Us (external council website)

Tips (Household Waste Recycling Sites)

All 10 household waste recycling sites in the East Riding have closed on Tuesday 24 March until further notice, following the latest Government advice.

Residents are asked to please keep items they would normally want to take to the sites at home for the time being.

Blue badges

We accept that the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak may make it more difficult for residents to apply for a Blue Badge that has recently expired or is about to expire.

East Riding of Yorkshire local authority parking teams will not issue Penalty Charge Notices using Blue Badges with an expiry date of 1 January 2020 onwards.

We will not enforce against expired Blue Badges until 30 September 2020. This date is subject to review. Please note: private car park owners may still enforce against expired Blue Badges. Please check before parking.

Calibration test centre

The Humber Authorities Calibration Test Centre will close from 5pm on Tuesday 24 March until further notice.

Any existing weighbridge test unit bookings will continue if sites are willing to receive us. We will continue to provide a service to customers in the essential supply chain such as food, medical and fuel industries.

Please email

Community response hub

As further measures are put in place to delay the spread of COVID-19, local people have already started to pull together to arrange help in their area for those who need it.

Not everyone has a network of family, friends, neighbours or carers to call upon.

In response, the council, in partnership with the HEY Smile Foundation, has created a community response hub which will connect the most vulnerable people in the East Riding with those that can provide the help and support they need, which could range from picking up medication or shopping, to a telephone call if they are feeling isolated.

The dedicated telephone number is (01482) 393919 and it will be operational between 9am-9pm Monday to Friday and 9am-6pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

Email requests are also available and all emails should be sent to

Children's centres

Due to the current guidance from the government, we have taken the decision to cancel all of our group sessions until further notice. We take your safety and health very seriously and look forward to seeing you all when sessions recommence, we will email to advise when this happens. In the meantime, we would love to stay connected with you, and would encourage you to follow our Facebook page.

We will be adding lots more content over the coming weeks including home activities and information you may find useful. We would encourage you to also access our website for more information.

If you want help or support please don’t hesitate to contact your local children’s centre team:

Find a children's centre

If you want advice from your health visitor we are aware that clinics will not be held but please contact your local team.

We encourage you to follow all the latest health advice and sincerely wish good health for you and your family during these uncertain times.

Council meetings

The council has a number of committees that make decisions. The main decision-making committee of the council is the cabinet.

Find out which meetings have changed due to coronavirus:

Council house repairs

Due to coronavirus, our housing repairs service is continuing to operate, but with a reduced capacity.

Please only report essential repairs that cannot wait.

For up-to-date information about how to report repairs to council homes during the coronavirus pandemic follow the link below:

Council tenants - repairs and maintenance (external council website)

Customer feedback, requests for information and service requests

In response to customer feedback, requests for information and service requests - such as comments and complaints or requests under the Freedom of Information Act - the council strives to respond in a timely manner. However, due to the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, the council may take slightly longer in responding and asks for residents' patience and understanding.

Customer services centres

Multi-Service Centres and Customer Service Centres are now closed.

Day services (council-run only)

The safety of service users, their families and staff are paramount and the council has been working hard to maintain service delivery as well as planning for future service delivery as the situation evolves. The council has been following changes in government guidance in relation to social distancing and ensuring that day service users and staff who are aged 70 or over or under 70 with an underlying health condition are supported to remain safely at home where possible.

Many people who fall into that category have made their own decision to stay at home and the planning for the forthcoming weeks is focussing on what support may be needed to promote their health and wellbeing. The majority of people are no longer supported within a day service and the council is working with the last few people remaining to provide an alternative solution.

The day service offer has been reducing over this last week in accordance with the guidance, demand for service and availability of staff. The council is also looking at how it can make best use of staff to support care delivery in the most critical cases and would like to provide reassurance that contact will continue to be maintained.

The council would like to reassure residents that if they don’t receive a service, charges will be adjusted accordingly. These measures are being put in place to help the council to safeguard its users, families and staff and thanks the residents in advance for their support and patience at this time.

For more information about coronavirus guidelines and advice on what to do, visit:

GOV.UK - Coronavirus (external website)

Grass cutting

All council grass cutting services have now been put on hold, apart from essential work such as some cemetery maintenance.

Families Information Service Hub (FISH)

In light of current developments in relation to Covid-19 and the government's ongoing communications around any potential impact of service, the Families Information Service Hub will endeavour to continue to keep settings, schools, practitioners and parents up-to-date with current government legislation.

Our most efficient way of getting this information out is via our Social Media channels.

We would advise all settings and schools like and share these pages with staff and parents to ensure this information is available to all on FISH's Facebook page FISH's Facebook page

Family Services Directory Facebook

FISH Twitter

Libraries, museums and archives

All Library, Museum and Archives groups, events and activities have been cancelled with immediate effect until the end of May.

East Riding Libraries, Mobile Libraries and Multi-Service Centres

Multi-Service Centres, Customer Service Centres and all libraries are closed. Library and council services will continue to be available online and via telephone on (01482) 393939.

Fines will not be charged during the closure period.

find out more about digital loans

Register to become a library member online.

East Riding Museums

In the light of guidance issued this week about coronavirus (COVID-19) by the Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England, we regret to inform all our customers that all East Riding Museums will close from 4pm on Friday 20 March until further notice.

This includes East Riding Museum and Beverley Art Gallery in the Treasure House, Beverley Guildhall, Skidby Mill and Goole Museum.

For general up-to-date information regarding coronavirus, please access the Public Health England website:

GOV.UK - Coronavirus information for the public (external website)

Local Offer

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS): Service update

As the current situation develops so rapidly all face-to-face contact will be suspended.

The primary aim is to ensure that service delivery can be maintained across the East Riding of Yorkshire whilst keeping everyone safe and well.

Acting on the advice from the local authority, all SENDIASS officers are currently working from home during this time and can support via email and over the phone.

At this stage parents who would like support should email the service for a call back from one of the SENDIASS officers.

In the email please include:

  • Your name
  • Town
  • Contact details
  • Reason for contact

If a phone call is your preferred method of initial contact, please leave your name, number and message with the FISH helpline and they will direct the message to SENDIASS and they will respond as soon as they can.


All schools have been ordered to effectively close with only a small number of staff staying on to provide education for children of key workers and vulnerable children.

For frequently asked questions and a list of key workers please see the link below:

IPSEA - Update on COVID-19 school closures and SEN provision (external website)

A vulnerable child is one who has a social worker and/or an Education Health and Care plan (EHCP). It is important to remember that many children with special educational needs (SEN) will receive support in school but do not have an EHCP and therefore this child may be expected to stay at home, unless they meet the above criteria. The government have requested that if only one parent is a key worker that the other parent stays with the child at home.

Single parents who are key workers will be entitled to a school place. However, this will need to be looked at on a school-by-school basis, as due to staffing levels some schools may not be able to stay open. Some local schools may pool resources at this time. In some cases your child might attend a Pupil Referral Unit or Alternative Provision. This setting may remain open to provide support for children in the ‘vulnerable’ category and/or children of key workers.

We suggest that you speak to your school or the local authority if your school has already closed and you are unsure about your child’s provision. If you feel that your child needs to continue receiving some form of educational input, we suggest that you highlight that the loss of an educational setting could be a risk to health, wellbeing or safety of the child if they do not receive a particular provision or intervention.

If you feel that there is too high a risk to send your child to school because they or someone in the family are at high risk then you are not required to send your child in.

Length of Closure

There is no clarity as to the length of time schools will be closed for, though it is estimated to be months rather than weeks. This is dependent on the pandemic progress.

Educational Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

All children with EHCPs are entitled to go to school.

This would suggest that special schools would remain open where possible, however there may be issues with staff absence so this may not always be the case.

Currently, the local authority still has the legal duty to deliver provision, which is likely to be the reason for why children with EHCP are able to continue attending school. However, this may be difficult due to a shortage of staff and so the delivery of precise provision within the EHCP may be difficulty to put in place, particularly over the coming weeks.

Please note: the duty on the local authority could change from an absolute duty to reasonable endeavours if the Coronavirus Bill passed next week. Again, if you feel that there will be a risk to the health, wellbeing or safety of the child, please raise this with your school or local authority.

It is important to note that currently the local authority has not been relieved of the duty to carry out Education Health Care Needs Assessments, though they may not be able to meet deadlines due to staff absence.

Annual reviews are still going ahead, though please grant local authorities and schools some flexibility on the deadlines due to wider pressures. If you feel there is an urgent need to amend provision or placement in regards to a child’s EHCP through the annual review please speak to the school or local authority to look at the best way to move forward.


There may be strains on the transport links to school at this time, though this is hoped to continue for the children who require transport to school. If transport has stopped due to staffing issues then please speak to your school and Local Authority regarding temporary solutions.

SEND Tribunals

SEND Tribunals are highly likely to continue during this time, due to children and young people with EHC plans continuing within an educational setting. Tribunals are running hearings by phone or video links, and so you may wish to ask for a virtual hearing or a paper hearing if more appropriate. There should be no need to adjourn hearings. We do recommend that if you feel unwell you email the Tribunal in the first instance.

We appreciate that this is a difficult situation and there is great uncertainty ahead. We will try our best to keep people up to date and clear on the situation regarding your child’s education in relation to their Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Under local authority guidance, we are currently working away from the office though are able to remain in contact with parents via phone calls and email.

If you do have any questions or require any further information, advice and support, we ask for you to please email SENDIASS at:


Useful Contacts

East Riding SENDIASS:

Local Offer:
East Riding Local Offer (external council website)

East Riding SEN team:
Tel: (01482) 394000 then Option 1, Option 1

School Transport:
Tel: (01482) 395444

Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) (external website)
IPSEA Advice Line (external website)

Contact - For families with disabled children:
Contact - for families with disabled children (external website)
Tel: 0808 808 3555

Council for Disabled Children

MOT tests/taxi compliance/police checks

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic at present we are not able to provide MOT/taxi compliance tests at East Riding of Yorkshire Council test centres.

You can change and cancel your booking in My Account.

For all the latest MOT/taxi compliance information please follow the link below:

Licencing news flashes

MOT tests

On 26 March 2020, the government announced that any MOT that was due to expire on or after the Monday 30 March 2020 will automatically be given a 6 month MOT extension due to COVID-19.

This is to minimise the traffic going through depots. At this point in time, you cannot book an MOT test with us. Find out more about MOT extensions on the government's website:

GOV.UK - Getting an MOT (external website)

Taxi compliance tests

On 26 March 2020, the government announced that any MOT that was due to expire on or after the Monday 30 March 2020 will automatically be given a 6 month MOT extension due to COVID-19.

This is to minimise the traffic going through depots. Our licencing team have made the decision to also apply this to our taxi compliance tests.

At this point in time, you cannot book a taxi compliance test with us.

Find out more about MOT extensions on the GOV.UK website

Pre-purchase inspection tests

As car dealerships have been temporarily closed due to COVID-19 you cannot book a pre-purchase inspection test with us at this point in time.

Parking restrictions and car parks
Free parking introduced to support NHS and other front-line workers

26 March 2020 - East Riding of Yorkshire Council is to suspend parking charges in all its Pay and Display off-street car parks and on-street parking areas located in Beverley, Bridlington, Driffield, Flamborough, Goole, and Hornsea until further notice.

The fees have been waived to show support for key workers at this time, including staff from the NHS, social care and other essential services, and help them to carry on their important duties.

Following government advice, all other residents are urged to continue staying at home if they are not carrying out essential work or travel.

All residents are urged to park sensibly and to follow other parking restrictions that are still in place. This is essential to ensure the free flow of traffic to allow emergency vehicles through, and to make sure safe parking is available for all users.

Resident parking permit renewals

Residents should renew their resident parking permits for CPZ areas as normal. Information about how to do it is here:

Renew your resident parking permit (external council website)

Planning and building control

The planning service remains open but is asking applicants and residents to correspond through online forms, Public Access or email:


Residents can continue to view and comment on planning applications through Public Access. Residents can also use Public Access to set up an area of search (e.g. for a specific street, town or village) to receive an automatic email notification of any new planning applications in the specified area.

In line with the latest Government advice, all site visits are currently suspended. These will recommence once the current travel restrictions are lifted.

Planning committee

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the council has cancelled the April meetings of the western and eastern area planning sub-committees and of full planning.

Western area planning committee

Eastern area planning committee

Building control

The building control service remains open but in line with Government advice is restricting site visits to major construction sites only. The team can continue to be contacted on (01482) 393800 or on email at

New building control applications should be submitted online at Building Control Services.

All inspection requests can continue to be made in the usual way and we will inspect what we can in the short-term based on the latest Government guidance.

Registration services

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the East Riding Registration and Celebratory Service is operating on a reduced staffing level.

The decision has been made to suspend the current ceremony booking system until the government advises that the full service can resume.

All existing email enquiries, up to and including those dated Tuesday, 31 March, will be contacted as soon as possible. All other ceremony bookings will be dealt with as and when staffing resources allow.

The service appreciates the difficult situation faced by couples locally, nationally and internationally during these uncertain times.

The service will be in contact with customers as soon as possible.


Birth registration appointments will now be deferred until we are through the current pandemic period.

Customers are advised that they can now make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered, where they have not been able to do so because of these measures.

Marriage/civil partnerships

Marriage and civil partnership ceremonies will no longer be undertaken in line with the Prime Ministers announcement.

Notices of marriage and civil partnership will be deferred until we are through the current pandemic period.

Applications to reduce the waiting period for marriages or civil partnerships will no longer be processed. Any applications received or in progress will be refunded.


The registration service is working with local hospitals and funeral directors in order for the possible electronic transfer of documents, such as Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death and Burial or Cremation forms.

Other changes regarding death will be made in the coming days as the Government’s position of limiting all but essential travel and encouraging people to remain at home is reviewed.

The registration service is keeping as many offices open as possible while following the Government’s guidelines on social distancing and providing hand sanitiser for the public and staff to use while in our offices.

Please contact the county registration service on (01482) 393600 to book a death appointment, our office hours are, Mon-Thursday 9am - 4.30pm, Fri 9am - 4pm.

Citizen ceremonies

The General Register Office is currently awaiting further guidance from UK Visas and Immigration and will update in due course.

Public toilets

All public toilets are now closed.

Residential care homes (council-run)

The council has been following the guidance issued by the government in relation to the COVID-19 virus pandemic and has taken measures to help protect residents and staff from infection.

As the national risk has increased the council has made the very difficult decision to restrict all visitors from accessing the care home, leaving only the most essential visitors with access in severe situations in order to protect the health of residents.

We are therefore confirming the decision that loved ones do not visit the care home. Please stay at home as advised by the government and keep safe. The safety of the residents is extremely important and by staying at home you are helping the council to keep them as safe as possible.

Visitor restriction also includes chiropodists, hairdressers etc.

The council is sad to have to put such restrictions in place, however with the stringent infection control measures, and your support, it will reduce the risks to residents significantly.

The council understands that this is a worrying time for families and as such how important it is to maintain contact and it will endeavour to find ways of assisting residents to maintain contact and have sourced iPads so that video calls - using Facetime or Skype - can be supported as well as telephone contacts and letter writing.

As always, if there are any concerns about the health of any resident then the council will contact you. There will be procedures in place for visiting a loved one in the case of critical situations, such as end-of-life, and these will be arranged by the care home manager with very specific isolation rules in place.

If there are any changes to these arrangements the council will let you know.

COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It is caused by a virus called coronavirus.

Everyone must stay at home to help stop the spread of coronavirus and this includes people of all ages – even if you do not have any symptoms or other health conditions.

This will dramatically help to protect the elderly and vulnerable people of the East Riding.

For more advice about coronavirus and what to do if you are concerned, visit:

GOV.UK - Coronavirus COVID-19 (external website)


East Riding schools

Coronavirus and schools closure information for parents/carers

Following the Government’s announcement, East Riding of Yorkshire Council would like to reiterate that schools, colleges and childcare providers will be closed for the vast majority of children until further notice.

Many parents working in critical sectors may be able to ensure their child is kept at home. Every child who can be safely cared for at home, should be.

The Department for Education is asking schools, colleges, nurseries, childminders and other registered childcare settings to offer provision, where they can, for children of critical workers and vulnerable children. You may have already been contacted by your child’s school. If this is not the case please look at their website.

This is an offer to parents and carers who are critical workers or have vulnerable children. There is no requirement for parents and carers to send children to school if you do not need or wish to do so.

East Riding School and Nursery Finder

East Riding School Closures

Further information is available on the Department for Education’s guidelines, which can be found at:

GOV.UK - Closure of educational settings: information for parents and carers (external website)

Hull City Council Schools

School closure information for those who work in the East Riding but live in Hull City Council areas:

Hull City Council School Closures


News updates of changes within the taxi/private hire trade due to COVID-19.

Tourist information centres

Beverley and Bridlington Tourist Information Centres will close from 4pm on Friday 20 March until further notice.

Trading standards

From Tuesday 24 March 2020 If you have a Trading Standards complaint you should call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808223113 who will provide you with basic advice. Trading Standards will continue to monitor complaints but will only respond to emergencies.

A weights and measures verification service will be provided by Trading Standards but only to sectors in the vital supply chain and medical/fuel industries.


Welfare support service

The safety of the customers/tenants, families and staff are paramount and the council has been working hard to maintain service delivery as well as planning for future service delivery as the situation evolves.

The council has been following changes in government guidance in relation to social distancing and ensuring that customers/tenants and staff who are aged 70 or over or under 70 with an underlying health condition are supported to remain safely at home where possible.

The Welfare Support Service offer has been reducing over this last week in accordance with the guidance, demand for service and availability of staff.

The council is also looking at how it can make best use of staff to support customers and deliver a service to all tenants. It would also like to provide reassurance that contact will continue to be maintained and this may be on a reduced level of visits, but where this is the case, contact will be provided on other days via a telephone call.

These measures are being put in place to help the council to safeguard customers, families and staff and thanks the residents in advance for their support and patience at this time.

For more information about coronavirus guidelines and advice on what to do, visit:

GOV.UK - Coronavirus (external website)

Venues, activities and events

Active Coast

Active Coast is taking the difficult decision to cancel all future events and sessions for the foreseeable future in the interest of public safety, following the Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England’s guidance to advise against non-essential contact with others.

We will notify residents of any further changes to our events schedule and will keep people updated as to when Active Coast events will return and apologise for any inconvenience this decision has caused.

We hope to see you at our events and sessions in the near future.

Bridlington Kite Festival and Race The Waves
Race The Waves 2020

Postponed In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, the council, in consultation with Backfire Promotions, have taken the decision to postpone Race The Waves 2020. The event was due to take place on Saturday, 9 and Sunday, 10 May in Bridlington.

The decision has been made to ensure the council can focus staff and resources on service delivery and to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic as circumstances change.

Bridlington Kite Festival 2020

Cancelled. In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, the council, has taken the decision to cancel the Bridlington Kite Festival 2020. The event was due to take place on Saturday, 16 and Sunday, 17 May in Bridlington.

The decision has been made to ensure the council can focus staff and resources on service delivery and to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic as circumstances change.

We thank you for your understanding.

Bridlington Spa, ArtWaves and The Business Day 2020

From 4pm on Friday 20 March, as part of the fight against the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), Bridlington Spa will be closed to the public until further notice. If you have booked tickets for a show that is affected by this change, our box office team will contact you direct offering refunds or credit to customers' accounts.

Please be aware that the box office may be receiving a high volume of calls and emails and will get back to you as soon as possible, thank you in advance for your patience.


For those of you who have purchased ArtWaves tickets via Bridlington Spa box office to any of our paid events, we are pleased to announce you will be issued a full refund.

Please be patient with the staff at this extremely busy and unsettled period and rest assured it will happen.

The box office number is (01262) 678258.

ArtWaves Artists and traders

ArtWaves organisers have spent today contacting artists and traders to update them on the situation.

If you are one of those affected and have not yet heard from us, please contact us directly at to discuss.

The Business Day 2020

As part of the fight against the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), and following governmental advice in relation to social distancing and mass gatherings, For Entrepreneurs Only and Bridlington Spa have made the joint decision to cancel the Business Day for 2020.

The event was scheduled to take place at Bridlington Spa on Friday 5 June, but the developing pandemic with regards to COVID-19 has caused the event to be unable to take place. As one of the largest business events in the region the safety of everyone involved from staff to exhibitors and delegates to speakers must be the number one priority.

Stephen Parnaby OBE, Event Director said, “The decision to cancel hasn’t been taken lightly. We all know that the health and well-being of everyone at this time is of the utmost concern. We are now looking ahead and making plans for The Business Day in June 2021.”

Mark Lonsdale, General Manager, Bridlington Spa said, “A key factor in the decision-making process was the consideration of the additional burden that such a large-scale event places on all those involved at a time when their priorities are rightly elsewhere.”

Campsites or caravan parks

Urgent government advice issued earlier this week stated that ‘essential travel does not include visits to campsites or caravan parks for isolation purposes or holidays’.

The government is encouraging people to stay at home and remain in their primary residence, to avoid putting additional pressure on communities and services which are already at risk.

Holiday accommodation, including hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campsites and caravan parks, must close.

Some premises or caravan parks premises have allowed persons already at the location to remain. Following Government regulations issued yesterday, they can only be kept open to provide accommodation for anyone who is already on the premises or park site and is unable to return to their main residence, anyone who uses that accommodation as their main residence, or who needs accommodation while moving house or attending a funeral.

The caravan parks are closed and mobile homeowners and their relatives must not travel to the parks as you will be refused entry and sent home, because this is not essential travel.

Coastal services

Beaches and promenades are open for exercise only.

Please email all other enquiries to:

Email :


The Coastal Services (formerly Foreshores) office in Bridlington is closed and the Coastal Services team is not taking any bookings for chalets until they receive government advice stating it is safe to do so. This is for bookings for the current year and next year.

Customers have been contacted and have been offered a move to other dates or to have a refund. Refunds will be given as soon as possible after the office reopens.

If anyone has any queries, please email and we will respond to you as soon as we can:


Land train

Land train operations in Bridlington are also suspended until further notice.

Please email all other enquiries to:

Email :

Paddling pools

Paddling pools in Bridlington and Hornsea are closed.

Please email all other enquiries to:

Email :

East Yorkshire Mixed Golf Week 2020

In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, the East Yorkshire Mixed Golf Week has been cancelled for 2020. The event was due to take place from Monday, 18 May to Friday, 22 May at Hessle Golf Course, Brough Golf Course, Hull Golf Course (Kirk Ella) and Cottingham Parks Golf and Leisure.

The 2021 event will take place from Monday, 17 May to Friday, 21 May 2021. We thank you for understanding.

Leisure centres

Hornsea Floral Hall

Floral Hall has closed and will remain closed until the end of April 2020.

Leisure centres

We regret to inform all our customers that all East Riding Leisure facilities will close on Friday 20 March.

East Riding Leisure Centres

Markets (council-run)

The following markets run and managed by the council will be closed from this week (starting from Monday 23 March) due to the coronavirus.

Beverley’s Saturday and Wednesday markets, and Pocklington’s Tuesday market, which are run by the council are closed.

Bridlington’s Wednesday and Saturday Markets, and Cottingham’s Thursday market, which are managed by the council, but run by a market traders’ co-operative, are closed.

Parks, play areas, open spaces and countryside access
Parks, Play Areas and Open Spaces

All council play areas in the East Riding are closed for the present time. Signs are currently being placed in all play areas to advise the public. Beaches, promenades, nature reserves and public rights of way are also open for exercise and currently being maintained. We are following government guidelines closely and advise the public to act upon social distancing and good hygiene as recommended by Public Health England.

Countryside Access events

All events to be cancelled. Refunds will be given to anyone booked on events from now until the end of May.

Sewerby Hall and Gardens (including Wildlife Photographer of the Year)

Sewerby Hall and Gardens have issued the following update following the new guidance about coronavirus (COVID-19) by the Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England.

From Saturday 21 March - The House, Zoo, Cafe, Welcome Centre and toilets will be closed. We have had to postpone all planned events until the end of May, when we will review the situation again.

The grounds and car park, however, will remain open.

We are currently reviewing our membership scheme in relation to Covid-19 and guidance from Public Health England. Please be assured that we will contact all Annual Pass holders once we have clarity on how we intend to proceed.


The cottages will remain open and bookings are still valid until further notice.

Worklink nurseries

Worklink Nurseries in the Walled Garden are also closed.

Flamborough Lighthouse

Flamborough Lighthouse will be closed for tours until 31 May.

Find full details on the Sewerby Hall website:

Sewerby Hall and Gardens

Wildlife Photographer of the Year

We are sorry to announce that the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition will not take place. We are in discussions with the Natural History Museum, in the hope that we can reschedule it.

South Cliff Holiday Park

Closed to all customers and owners from Monday, 23 March.

This decision follows urgent government advice that ‘essential travel does not include visits to campsites or caravan parks for isolation purposes or holidays’. The government is encouraging people to remain in their primary residence, to avoid putting additional pressure on communities and services which are already at risk.

The team at South Cliff Holiday Park will contact each customer individually over the next few days to discuss either changing the dates of holidays already booked, or refunding the cost of those holidays. Customers will be contacted in date order of their bookings. Staff at the Holiday Park would like to thank customers for their patience as they work as quickly as possible through the bookings. The team will also talk to individual caravan licensees on the site.

Destination facilities manager Alex Crutchley said: "We know how disappointing this will be for all those affected but we have had to make these decisions in order to ensure the safety and security of our guests, owners and site teams.

"This ever-changing situation is incredibly difficult for you as our customers, and for our teams. We are experiencing a high volume of calls currently and our teams will contact you directly over the forthcoming days. Please be patient. Thank you."

Youth dance

Following government guidance regarding Covid-19 (coronavirus), East Riding Youth Dance has been cancelled for the remainder of this term. We hope to return in the autumn and will keep you updated with any developments.

We are currently liaising with Hull New Theatre in relation to the planned fresh trip and will be in touch regarding those booked to attend this.

For any queries please contact